25 March 2014

Potato planting

In the dry spells since returning from NZ I've managed to clear and fork over the first beds for planting up and now have the middle fabric path running the whole length of the plot.





Yesterday was a warm dry day so I decided to go for it and plant my potatoes, as the clods of recently forked soil broke down surprisingly well when raking them over.
Rather than dig trenches I made planting holes with the long handle dipper and then recovered with soil.
This seemed a quick and easy method especially as I used walk boards ,rather than a planting line, to align the rows.
I usually earth up rows from the start but this year I'll wait until the shoots emerge.

Blue Kestrel.These and some of the other varieties are planted in "wide rows" due to an over estimate in my potato seed buying.



2 comments:

Rooko said...

Good idea with the dibber. I will probably have to use the same method this year as my metal potato planter gave up the ghost last year.

Sue Garrett said...

We don;t dig trenches either. Just dig a hole with the trowel as deep as I can and pop it in with a dash of chicken manure pellets. Quick and no back breaking. Works just as well as the trench method,

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...