30 January 2014

Late January garden

I've started to reorganise my garden in the few recent dry spells .The Autumn Bliss raspberries which I'd planted in the middle bed nearest the windows tended to block out views of the rest of the garden in the summer and autumn.So they've been moved over to the allotment.I'm gradually turning the garden into mixed beds of shrubs and shrub roses under planted with perennial flowers and bulbs.There's still a jostaberry and two gooseberry bushes occupying the two smaller upper beds and I'll see how these fit in with the overall planting scheme before deciding whether to move them across to the plot as well.

A grey squirrel has taken a particular liking to the peanut feeder ,which I've now had to protect with a cage so that the small birds stand a chance of getting their fair share of nuts.A touch of speciesism ,as I'm sure that I would encourage red squirrels to feed in my garden if we had them round here.
New forsythia ,shrub rose and feeder cage


































Some winter colour





4 comments:

Kelli said...

I've noticed snowdrops coming up as well. However little dry weather here in Northern Ireland and lots of rain forecast for the weekend.

Sue Garrett said...

We get a squirrel occasionally but not often enough to have to take precautions. We did once find a field mouse in a feeder. It had climbed in through the hole - gorged itself on seed and become too fat to get out. We had to take the feeder apart to release it!

David Shinn said...

Here above Morecambe Bay I think we get the same weather just after you!
I'm still struggling to take good photos of white flowers with my (now older) compact camera .One snowdrop pic turned out ok using portrait mode but none of the hellebore niger came out well enough.

David Shinn said...

The squirrel was getting very frustrated this morning.It ran up the pole a few times ,banged it's head against the cage and then fell off!
Feeder station has had a lot more visits from small birds this afternoon but that might be due to the colder weather?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...